Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dead and Gone (vague spoilers)

I've felt miserable almost all day, so I haven't done much other than play The Sims 2, struggle with an emotional quandary that needs to be dealt with much sooner than later, and finish reading a book while hoping that my head and right ear would stop hurting (I'm beginning to suspect an ear infection. joy). Anyway, since the sims has no plot, I think I'll review the book.

Dead And Gone (southern vampire mysteries #9) by Charlaine Harris

If you've looked at my profile and if you recognize the authors, you might realize that I read a lot of Urban Fantasy. It's not deep and meaningful, but I had enough of that whilst studying for my English education degree. These days I only read the classics when I want to. That happens once or twice a year. Anyway, this series is one of my current favorites.

I've mentioned Eric and Sookie - a mind reader and her vampire on again, off again lover - in another post, and if you like them as a couple too, you'll like this book because issues going on since book 4 reach a bit more resolution. Of course a murder gets in the way just when things seem to be headed somewhere. They don't work things out by the end of the book. I don't read many romance novels, but I like a bit of romance to the plots of "normal" books too. I'd say I do as much as the next girl, but I know from the disappointingly limited results from googling "practical romance" ages ago that it's probably not true. Damn my *INTJ-ness Anyway, the romantic elements of Dead and Gone are responsible for my gleeful giggles while reading the first two thirds of the book.

As for the rest of the plot, it was a bit of so what. Sookie loses a couple of friends to the dangerous situation that her great-grandfather pulls her into, and I'm only really sorry to see one of the characters go. It was touch and go for one of the major characters, and even though I don't like him much I found myself hoping he wouldn't be killed off. Maybe he's growing on me a bit again.

Readers of the series will probably like this one. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely not the weakest book in the series either - that would be book 2. I look forward to seeing what happens in book 10, whenever that comes out.

* A beautiful piece of advice in one of those INTJ threads: "If you ARE trying to feel out an INTJ type person, I would recommend asking that person how they feel about you. As uncomfortable as it is, you may save alot of time by asking some very specific questions. You'll probably get some specific answers." True, that.


"Reaching for a hand as my heart starts to sway...crawl through the darkness. Fear all that don't. Fate is a gift" - The Von Bondies, Crawl Through The Darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment