Saturday, June 19, 2010

HJNTIY

So, I just finished reading He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. Because if there's one thing I'm really bad at, it's math. But if there are two things I'm really bad it, it's math and figuring out guys' intentions. Or math and driving a stick shift. But let's go with figuring out what guys want from me.

This wasn't a book I loved. But you know, as much as I'd like to run away from some of the advice and defend men as not being like that [insert several variables of "that"]...a lot of them are. And a lot of women cough*me*cough are guilty of letting things go on too long in hopes of getting what we want from the objects of our unwise affection. So my summation of the book is that it's both harsh and fair.

The harsh but true goes both ways, by the way, and it doesn't just harp on men who are unworthy of one's time. They never say that women who make excuses for everything about the guys they like, ranging from why they still haven't asked them out yet to why they don't want to get leave their wives for them, are stupid but you do get the sense that they think those women are at very least a little deluded. At least I'm guilty only of the former!

It'd be interesting to see what would be in a book called Actually She's Not That Into You, or, as a better title, Maybe You're Not Her Type. Hopefully things like "If she's flirting with other guys more than you...", or the even more basic "If she pulls away when you lean close/responds to your comments in single word replies/recoils from your casual touch...." and so on because there seem to be as many clueless men who don't read women's signals right (like body language - and apparently, at least judging from an MB argument recently, some need to be told simple things like women reading a book aren't just dying to be chatted up by complete strangers) as clueless women who project wishful thinking onto what men do.


"I was only seeking intimacy as I politely asked you out. What's that? You've got another lady? I'll just keep seeing you in my fantasies..." - Los Abandoned, (I Didn't Mean to) Stalk U

No comments:

Post a Comment